"We got to the balcony and my husband said, 'We just have to jump, we can't save ourselves any other way'," said the mum of the stricken family.
This astonishing footage shows the moment a family plunges from the top floor balcony of their flaming flat - their fall broken by a 'human trampoline'. The family were forced to take to the roof after their five-storey apartment block in Russia became engulfed in flames.
But luckily, a crowd had amassed below to form a 'human trampoline' to cushion the family's fall following their death-defying 60ft descent. The amazing rescue was caught on camera by a passer-by in southern Russia's Vladimir Oblast region.
In the video, smoke can be seen billowing from every window in the block. With no emergency services in sight, dozens of pedestrians gathered underneath the burning block to help the family. Ksenia, one of the children, is first to be caught by the crowd of people after fearlessly plummeting to the ground.
Then, moments later, an older child, Jenia, takes the terrifying plunge out of the window, with mum and dad following shortly after. Mum Elena said: "The thick black smoke was all over the place in our flat, we could not get out of there.
"We just couldn't breathe. My 11-month-old baby Jenia has a heart condition. "We got to the balcony and my husband said, 'We just have to jump, we can't save ourselves any other way'." Authorities criticised the family for their actions.
Local Emercom chief deputy Aleksandr Natuzhnch told local media: "They made a few vital mistakes.
"They should have closed all the windows and sealed them with wet towels to keep out toxic gasses. Instead, they opened all the windows."